Close Menu
  • Commercial Real-estate
  • Agents
  • Brokerage
  • Buying
  • Selling
  • Rent
  • Technology
What's Hot

Millionaire homeowner sues to shut down popular neighbourhood cafe

May 19, 2026

1form helps landlords and property managers find top tenants

May 18, 2026

Healthscope landlord slams ‘vulture hedge funds’ and prepares to replace hospital operator

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Housing SellerHousing Seller
  • Commercial Real-estate
  • Agents
  • Brokerage
  • Buying
  • Selling
  • Rent
  • Technology
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Housing SellerHousing Seller
Home»Commercial Real-estate»Millionaire homeowner sues to shut down popular neighbourhood cafe
Commercial Real-estate

Millionaire homeowner sues to shut down popular neighbourhood cafe

May 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Email

A quiet, affluent Perth suburb has been rocked by an extraordinary neighbourhood dispute, escalating from noise complaints to a police call-out and an alleged megaphone-wielding local screaming obscenities at cafe patrons.

At the centre of the storm is Sam Kaye, owner of the bustling Side Piece Deli in Swanbourne, who has been embroiled in the eight-month feud now set for a Supreme Court showdown.

Mr Kaye’s thriving cafe empire hit an unexpected snag, when a nearby residents started complaining about everything from noise and traffic to odours and customers blocking footpaths.

MORE NEWS

Couple close popular campsite over $1m road bill

‘Used to go off’: Inside eerie abandoned Aus pub

Inside Aus’s most notorious former youth prison

The dispute reached boiling point when neighbour Kerry Wells allegedly screamed expletives through a megaphone at the packed deli, alarming patrons enjoying their breakfast.

Mrs Wells has since admitted to “losing her cool” during the confrontation, yelling “shut the f*** up” towards the cafe.

“Mr Kaye banned me from the premises when I have asked for the cacophony in the rear alfresco to be toned down,’ she wrote in an email sent to Town of Claremont councillors and The POST newspaper.

Neighbours have complained about noise, traffic, odours and Side Piece Deli customers blocking footpaths.

The row centres on Side Piece Deli and owner Sam Kaye, with residents pushing to overturn its planning approval. Source: Facebook

Mr Kaye confirmed two locals had been banned, alleging that residents retaliated by blasting disruptive static noise towards his venue for hours on end.

See also  Safety House & Neighbourhood Watch: Could 80s programs return?

The saga has now taken a dramatic turn, heading for the Supreme Court next month.

Luxury homeowner Ian Satchwell, whose $5.5 million residence sits just two doors from the cafe, is spearheading a legal challenge to shut it down.

Mr Satchwell argues the cafe’s council approval was unlawful and has filed a writ application seeking to overturn its planning approval, claiming the popular spot is operating as a fast-food restaurant.

For Mr Kaye, this fourth hospitality venture has proven to be his most challenging.

“What started as what we believed would be a typical neighbour concern, unfortunately, escalated over time into something much larger and more public than we ever anticipated,’ he told the Daily Mail.

he cafe operates on a busy Shenton Road in Swanbourne, one of Perth’s wealthiest suburbs

Neighbour Kerry Wells said she was banned from the cafe when she asked for the cacophony to be toned down. Source: Google Maps

He maintains his focus has been on creating a “great local venue for the community,” working closely with the Town of Claremont and complying with all relevant approvals.

“We’ve made several adjustments and operational compromises along the way to be respectful of surrounding residents and to keep the peace,” he added.

Despite “difficult and confronting” moments for staff and customers, Mr Kaye has been buoyed by an “overwhelming response from customers and locals who simply enjoy having a neighbourhood cafe in the area.”

He anticipates the legal battle could cost upwards of $150,000 to defend.

Council records show Ms Wells had previously complained about “noxious odours” from the cafe, which opened in August 2025, prompting an investigation in February.

See also  Key takeaways for commercial property

The council recently issued a permit allowing the cafe to have outdoor seating for four people on the footpath, a move to address frequent complaints about long queues spilling onto public thoroughfares.

While the Town of Claremont has stated it would be premature to comment on the ongoing case, it has previously affirmed the cafe’s compliance with its local planning scheme.



Source link

cafe homeowner Millionaire neighbourhood popular shut sues
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Posts

Healthscope landlord slams ‘vulture hedge funds’ and prepares to replace hospital operator

May 18, 2026

PR Queen Roxy Jackenko fails to sell Paddington HQ

May 18, 2026

Inside the business ventures less than the price of a Sydney home

May 17, 2026

investors’ defiant plan to beat new tax reforms

May 17, 2026

Commercial property to emerge as quiet winner

May 16, 2026

The straight line running from Hormuz to Canada's housing market

May 16, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Commercial Real-estate

Millionaire homeowner sues to shut down popular neighbourhood cafe

May 19, 2026

A quiet, affluent Perth suburb has been rocked by an extraordinary neighbourhood dispute, escalating from…

1form helps landlords and property managers find top tenants

May 18, 2026

Healthscope landlord slams ‘vulture hedge funds’ and prepares to replace hospital operator

May 18, 2026

Terms to know before the auction hammer falls

May 18, 2026
Our Picks
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

About Us
About Us

Real advice for all things real estate: buying, selling, market trends, renovation ideas, decor inspo, celebrity real estate news and More

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Our Picks

Millionaire homeowner sues to shut down popular neighbourhood cafe

May 19, 2026

1form helps landlords and property managers find top tenants

May 18, 2026

Healthscope landlord slams ‘vulture hedge funds’ and prepares to replace hospital operator

May 18, 2026
© 2026 Housing Seller - All rights reserved
  • Contact
  • Privacy policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.