Close Menu
  • Commercial Real-estate
  • Agents
  • Brokerage
  • Buying
  • Selling
  • Rent
  • Technology
What's Hot

Leadership, Not Location: The Future Of Agent Engagement

February 21, 2026

What to Really Look For at a Home Showing- Don’t Get Fooled by Fresh Paint

February 21, 2026

Cheapest Cities to Rent in Kentucky (2026)

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Housing SellerHousing Seller
  • Commercial Real-estate
  • Agents
  • Brokerage
  • Buying
  • Selling
  • Rent
  • Technology
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Housing SellerHousing Seller
Home»Commercial Real-estate»Inside celebrity chef restaurants that went bust in Australia
Commercial Real-estate

Inside celebrity chef restaurants that went bust in Australia

February 21, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Telegram Email

A Michelin star might get you a TV deal, but it won’t pay the rent.

Despite million-dollar budgets and prime-time fame, the biggest culinary heavyweights have left a trail of debt and “kitchen nightmares” across Australia.

Here is a look back at the celebrity chef restaurants that couldn’t make the cut Down Under.

Jamie Oliver

The Naked Chef stripped his Aussie presence to nothing after his last restaurant closed in 2023.

Jamie Oliver Pizzeria at Pacific Fair in Queensland collapsed into voluntary administration owing $1 million.

The company which managed the restaurant, Hallmark Hospitality Group’s director Matt Heanen, told administrators the restaurant had just $7336 in the bank.

It followed the 2020 closure of Jamie’s Italian across four cities and the 2012 collapse of Fifteen Melbourne, which was plagued by financial strain and a 2008 arson attack.

The restaurants were located in Sydney CBD, Parramatta, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra.

MORE: Calombaris’ $8m fallout before I’m a Celeb

Dead at 42: $300m crash of Aus’ Crazy John’s

One detail closed 340 Aus pizza chain’s stores

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver. Picture: Sam Ruttyn

Jamie’s Italian in Perth. Picture: Jordan Shields

Neil Perry

In 2025, Neil Perry closed his Double Bay Cantonese site Song Bird after less than a year. It followed the closure of his basement bar, Bobbie’s, just a month prior.

Perry admitted the cost of the ventures blew out to $12 million, forcing a rushed opening.

“The first three months were the worst of my life,” Perry said.

“Even after this many years in business, you can still make monumental mistakes.”

Neil Perry.

George Calombaris

George Calombaris’ hospitality empire once established him one of Melbourne’s most powerful restaurateurs.

See also  Meet the Aussie entrepreneurs finding success in Amsterdam

At its peak, the MAdE Establishment group controlled more than 20 venues.

The company collapsed into voluntary administration in February 2020 after years of losses and the $7.8m underpayment scandal that poisoned the brand.

The collapse led to the closure of 12 restaurants and eateries including 7 Jimmy Grants souvlaki outlets, Gazi, Elektra (formerly The Press Club), and several Hellenic Republic locations (which had been rebranded as Crofter Dining Room, Hotel Argentina, and Vita).

The former MasterChef Australia judge was forced to pay a $200,000 “contrition payment” and admitted “deep sadness and regret” over the failure.

George Calombaris

George Calombaris. Picture: Jason Edwards

George Calombaris' restaurant Jimmy Grants

Jimmy Grants was George Calombaris’ fast-casual souvlaki chain, launched in 2014 and later shut as MAdE Establishment collapsed in 2020. Picture: David Geraghty/The Australian

Heston Blumenthal

Heston Blumenthal’s Dinner By Heston at Crown Melbourne was a five-star flop.

The eatery was placed into administration in 2015 after failing to meet a Fair Work deadline to back-pay staff $4.5 million in entitlements.

According to records, the company made a loss of $492,004 in 2018 and a loss of $308,526 in 2017.

Celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal.

Dinner by Heston in Melbourne. Picture: Supplied

Gordon Ramsay

Gordon Ramsay suffered his own kitchen nightmare when Maze and Maze Grill at Crown Melbourne closed in 2011.

The sites lasted little more than a year before being put into liquidation.

Ramsay’s team claimed the business was “not sustainable,” despite Crown’s insistence that the restaurant was one of the “highest-grossing” in the country.

Gordon Ramsay

Gordon Ramsay's new Melbourne restaurant Maze.

Gordon Ramsay’s Melbourne restaurant Maze.

Manu Feildel

The My Kitchen Rules judge has seen a string of restaurant failures, most notably Le Grand Cirque in Melbourne.

See also  What it means for Australia

A partnership with Calombaris, the eatery lasted just four months.

Feildel also closed Duck In Duck Out in Sydney after one year, and his long-running French bistro L’Étoile in 2014.

“It’s still a negative experience, so it will always hurt,” Feildel said.

The French chef was a co-owner in Aperitif, a tapas bar in Kings Cross with Miguel Maestre, which shuttered in 2011 after less than 12 months of operation.

Manu Feildel at his new restaurant

Manu Feildel also closed Duck In Duck Out in Sydney after one year. Picture: Dylan Robinson

Shannon Bennett

In 2019, Shannon Bennett’s Benny Burger collapsed, leaving $170,000 in unpaid debt.

The “ethical” burger chain, which spanned Sydney International Airport and prime Melbourne CBD spots, struggled to win over diners who baulked at paying nearly $18 for a single burger.

That same year, the celebrity chef’s live music venture, Geddes Lane Ballroom, also folded less than 12 months after its high-profile launch.

Shannon Bennett Opens New Burger Joint

Shannon Bennett at his former burger shop Benny Burger. Picture: Norm Oorloff

Pete Evans

The former My Kitchen Rules judge’s foray into the Melbourne steakhouse scene, Little Hunter, turned into a mess within just 12 months.

When the 150-seat eatery collapsed in 2013, it left more than 100 creditors high and dry, owing a total of $769,000. The debt pile included a $122,000 hit to the Australian Taxation Office.

Despite holding a 10 per cent stake in the failed venture, Evans personally launched a claim for more than $50,000 from the disaster.

Pete Evans. Picture: Pan MacMillan Australia

Supplied Editorial Karen Martini with fish finger sandwich at ACMI's Hero. Picture: Pete Tarasiuk

Karen Martini at ACMI’s Hero. Picture: Pete Tarasiuk

Karen Martini

TV chef Karen Martini’s Federation Square flagship, Hero, came to a screeching halt in 2023 after ACMI abruptly terminated her contract.

See also  Accor hotels in Melbourne close to full during Australian Open

In a brutal eviction, staff were reportedly given just six hours to vacate the museum.

ACMI claimed the high-profile restaurant was axed over “significant unpaid debt” and a breach of contract by Martini’s company, HospitalityM.

The former Better Homes and Gardens star hit back, declaring herself “devastated” by the lack of support for a struggling city.

“In this climate, it is hard to believe that ACMI couldn’t match our passion and enthusiasm for good things,” Martini said.

— Additional reporting by David Bonaddio

MORE: Sad demise of Planet Hollywood Aus

One detail ended Pizza Haven in Aus forever

EB Games’ collapse sparks Aussie job fears

 



Source link

Australia bust celebrity chef Restaurants
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Posts

Brad Carr: Canada needs to cut the GST/HST for all new homebuyers, not just first-timers

February 20, 2026

Hugh Jackman’s retreat partner caught in wellness fallout

February 20, 2026

Aldi updates select stores with new security tech

February 19, 2026

Live events fuel Australian hotel boom as major operators expand nationwide

February 19, 2026

Garry Marr: For young Canadians who bought at peak of market, Home Buyers' Plan was invitation to disaster

February 18, 2026

The Grounds to open new venue

February 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Agents

Leadership, Not Location: The Future Of Agent Engagement

February 21, 2026

When agents love your leadership, believe in your support and see tangible impact in their…

What to Really Look For at a Home Showing- Don’t Get Fooled by Fresh Paint

February 21, 2026

Cheapest Cities to Rent in Kentucky (2026)

February 21, 2026

Inside celebrity chef restaurants that went bust in Australia

February 21, 2026
Our Picks
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

About Us
About Us

Real advice for all things real estate: buying, selling, market trends, renovation ideas, decor inspo, celebrity real estate news and More

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Our Picks

Leadership, Not Location: The Future Of Agent Engagement

February 21, 2026

What to Really Look For at a Home Showing- Don’t Get Fooled by Fresh Paint

February 21, 2026

Cheapest Cities to Rent in Kentucky (2026)

February 21, 2026
© 2026 Housing Seller - All rights reserved
  • Contact
  • Privacy policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.